Updated 04 September 2017
I’m a Ph.D. student at the department of Computer Science and Engineering at Chalmers University of Technology and the University of Gothenburg, Sweden. I work in the areas of language technology and formal methods, where I’m funded by the REMU project to research the formal analysis of normative contracts written in natural language.
I also do some computational linguistic work for the Maltese language, where I help build and maintain a digital lexicon for Maltese called Ġabra.
You can contact me at
or find me in room 5446 of the EDIT building on Chalmers’ Johanneberg campus in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2013 – present: Ph.D. student in Computer Science at Chalmers / University of Gothenburg, under the supervision of Gerardo Schneider and Koen Claessen.
- 2012 – 2013: M.Sc. student at Chalmers University of Technology in the program Computer Science: Algorithms, Languages and Logic. Aarne Ranta was my thesis supervisor.
- 2011 – 2013: Research assistant at Chalmers / University of Gothenburg in the MOLTO project.
- 2006 – 2010: B.Sc. IT (Hons) in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence at the University of Malta.
I have been/am/will be involved in the following courses as a teaching assistant:
- Artificial Intelligence: VT2016 LP4, VT2017 LP4
- Concurrent Programming: VT2014 LP3, VT2015 LP3, HT2015 LP1, VT2016 LP3, HT2016 LP1, HT2017 LP1
- Programming Language Technology: VT2014 LP3, VT2015 LP3, HT2015 LP2
- Advanced Functional Programming: VT2016 LP3
- Natural Language Processing: HT2014 LP2, HT2015 LP2, HT2016 LP2, HT2017 LP2
- Objektorienterad programvaruutveckling: HT2014 LP2
Student project supervision
- Sophie Chesney (Language Technology, 2016)
- Runa Gulliksson (Computer Science, 2016)
- Mohammad Reza Haghshenas (Software Engineering, 2016)
Here are some master’s thesis project proposals which are related to my research.
- Member of sub-committee on ICT of the National Council for the Maltese Language, 2013 – 2016.
- Member of EACL student board, 2015 – present.
- Participatory Verification of Railway Infrastructure by Representing Regulations in RailCNL, Bjørnar Luteberget, John J. Camilleri, Christian Johansen, Gerardo Schneider. In 15th International Conference on Software Engineering and Formal Methods (SEFM 2017). Vol. 10469, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-66197-1_6. [Link]
- Modelling and Analysis of Normative Documents, John J. Camilleri, Gerardo Schneider. Vol. 91, Journal of Logical and Algebraic Methods in Programming (JLAMP). DOI: 10.1016/j.jlamp.2017.05.002. [Link]
- A Domain-Specific Language for Normative Texts with Timing Constraints, Runa Gulliksson, John J. Camilleri. In 23rd International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning (TIME 2016). DOI: 10.1109/TIME.2016.14. [Link]
- Digitizing the grammar and vocabulary of Maltese, John J. Camilleri. In Shifts and Patterns in Maltese. Vol. 19, Studia Typologica. ISBN: 978-3-11-049637-6. [Link]
- Extracting Formal Models from Normative Texts, John J. Camilleri, Normunds Grūzītis, Gerardo Schneider. In 21st International Conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems (NLDB 2016). Vol. 9612, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-41754-7_40. [Link]
- Analysing normative contracts — On the semantic gap between natural and formal languages, John J. Camilleri. Chalmers University of Technology and University of Gothenburg. Gothenburg, Sweden. Licentiate Thesis. [PDF]
- A CNL for Contract-Oriented Diagrams, John J. Camilleri, Gabriele Paganelli, Gerardo Schneider. In 4th International Workshop on Controlled Natural Language (CNL 2014). Vol. 8625, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-10223-8_13. [PDF]
- A Computational Grammar and Lexicon for Maltese, John J. Camilleri. Chalmers University of Technology. Gothenburg, Sweden. M.Sc. Thesis. [PDF]
- A Framework for Conflict Analysis of Normative Texts Written in Controlled Natural Language, Krasimir Angelov, John J. Camilleri, Gerardo Schneider. Vol. 82, Journal of Logic and Algebraic Programming (JLAP). DOI: 10.1016/j.jlap.2013.03.002. [PDF]
- An IDE for the Grammatical Framework, John J. Camilleri. Third International Workshop on Free/Open-Source Rule-Based Machine Translation (FreeRBMT 2012). [PDF]
- Controlled Natural Language in a Game for Legal Assistance, John J. Camilleri, Gordon J. Pace, Michael Rosner. In Controlled Natural Language. Vol. 7175, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-31175-8_8. [PDF]
- Playing Nomic Using a Controlled Natural Language, John J. Camilleri, Michael Rosner, Gordon Pace. Second Workshop on Controlled Natural Languages (CNL 2010). [PDF]
- A Controlled Natural Language Interface for Electronic Contracts, John J. Camilleri. University of Malta. Msida, Malta. B.Sc. IT (Hons) Final Year Project. [PDF]
- Verb Morphology of Hebrew and Maltese — Towards an Open Source Type Theoretical Resource Grammar in GF, Dana Dannélls, John J. Camilleri. In Language Resources (LRs) and Human Language Technologies (HLT) for Semitic Languages: Status, Updates, and Prospects. [PDF]
This page will always contain the most up-to-date information; these links are mostly for myself.