Final course evaluation meeting for (Chalmers TDA342 / GU DIT260)
The final evaluation meeting will be in April.
The report should (according to the central
) contain the following:
- Summarising judgment.
- Goal fulfilment (cmp. course to learning outcomes).
- Organisation and pedagogy.
- Study climate.
- Desirable changes for next year.
Course evaluation meeting for (Chalmers TDA342 / GU DIT260)
Advanced Functional Programming (7.5 hec), Spring 2011
The evaluation meeting took place on Friday 2011-02-11.
1 Introduction round
- Patrik Jansson, lecturer and examiner
- Jean-Philippe Bernardy: course assistant and guest lecturer
- Shayan, Tobias, Gabriel: student representatives from the CSALL MSc programme
2 Changes in the course since last year
- Real World Haskell book (system level perspective)
- New course plan (to match the contents)
3 Study climate (communication, work load, supervision).
- Shayan: The most important part [of the course] is the labs. There were some problems with the documentation of WX Haskell. Talked with BSc students: satisfied, good that a large focus is on the labs. Programming exam on paper is awkward. Should have 70% weight on the labs.
- Patrik: The final grade is based on a weighting (60% lab + 40% exam) + minor adjustments.
- JPB: The exam is partly just to check that you did your part in the lab group.
- Shayan: In the ProgPara course John recorded a screen-cast + sound which was useful to replay off-line. Feedback from MSc level FP course was in favour.
- Gabriel: Lab 1 was unclear what to do for different grades. Make sure to add a "warning" early in the lab text (because many other courses don't have graded labs). Would like to move one Office hour to Mondays.
- Patrik: We could move one of the meetings to after the Monday lecture.
- Gabriel: Will there be any guest lectures?
- Patrik: Yes, Emil Axelsson will talk about DSL design and implementation on Monday (the Feldspar project) and later in the course Nils Anders Danielsson will talk about Programming with dependent types (an Agda tutorial)
4 Problematic course items; can resources be used better?
The graphics in the lab could be done with Gtk or even just generate the SVG.
5 Course-specific questions in questionnaire; other material for final meeting
- Would you like to have the lectures recorded (screencast + sounds or so)?
- Do you want more or less "live coding" (compared to beamer presentations / black-board)?
Notes by Patrik Jansson, 2011-02-11
Responsibilities of the student representatives
As a student representative it is your responsibility to
When the course evaluation has been completed, each student representative will get a voucher, valid for 200 kronor at Cremona
- inform yourself about the views of your fellow students.
- pass these on together with your own views in the meetings.
- suggest course-specific questions, if needed.
- inform your fellow students about discussions and recommendations at the meetings.