Final course evaluation meeting for (Chalmers TDA341 / GU DIT260)
The final evaluation meeting is on Mon. 2010-04-19, 12.00-13.15 in EDIT 3220.
The report should (according to the central
) contain the following:
- Summarising judgment.
- Goal fulfilment (cmp. course to learning outcomes).
- Organisation and pedagogy.
- Study climate.
- Desirable changes for next year.
Course evaluation meeting for (Chalmers TDA341 / GU DIT260)
Advanced Functional Programming (7.5 hec), Spring 2010
Notes from the combined first+second meeting:
1 Introduction round
- Bartolomeus Jankowski, fourth year student at U. of Gothenburg, (1st year of the CS MSc, did the CS BSc here in Gothenburg)
- Qiuchi Jian, 2nd year of Biomed eng., did a CS BSc in China, took FP in SP2, 2009
- Andreas Granström, 3rd year of the CSE BSc at Chalmers
- Patrik Jansson, lecturer, assoc. prof. in the FP group
- Jean-Philippe Bernard, course assistant, PhD student in the FP group
2 Changes in the course since last year
- New lecturer
- Same assistant
- Basically the same material
- You may bring a "summary sheet" to the exam
3 Study climate (communication, work load, supervision)
- Good study climate.
- Good that the lecturer encourages discussion
- The course has a reputation as a good course but also a reputation as a demanding course
- Labs are really time-consuming
- working in pairs increases the time it takes (due to discussions) - but it is good.
- very few students use the office hours - today one student came by, last time two.
TODO: PJ: Make the office hours more like a exercise session, if possible already this year - perhaps book a room and invite more students to come.
4 Problematic course items; can resources be used better?
- Graphics background library wxHaskell is difficult to install. Should clearly list options on the lab 1 home page: HGL, gtk2hs, wxHaskell, ...
- Suggestion for next year: add optional weekly exercises with bonus points for the exam (and lighten up the work-load for the lab sequence a bit)
5 Course-specific questions in questionnaire; other material for final meeting
- See attached document for the default questions
- TODO: BJ: will provide two lab questions
- Done: JPB: will write a question about what proportion of time is spent on labs in relation to reading.
"What is the proportion of time you spent doing labs? (eg. 75% means
you spent 3 times as much on the labs than the rest of the course)
0%, 25%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%"
6 Course plan sketch for 2011 instance of the AFP course
- Don't add "CS BSc" as prereq. (would rule out ambitious BSc students)
- Perhaps say something about discussing code and design in the learning outcomes.
See attached document
for the sketch (after applying the changes suggested during the
- There is a gap from the first FP course to this course.
- There are many potential uses of FP in other courses both on BSc and MSc level.
- Should explain more about the learning outcomes and group work (reading code, discussing and explaining concepts is an important part of the course)