Computer Security -- EDA263
Spring semester, study period 3, 2016/2017
(Course code DIT641 for Göteborg University)
- [2017-04-26] The exam review will take place in the EDIT house, Chalmers Johanneberg, in room 6128, Tuesday 2017-05-02 between 11.45--12.45.
- [2016-11-18] A version of the course book is available as an e-book from the library and it will be used as the official course book. There are also printed versions to buy.
- [2016-11-18] The course will participate in the Syssec 10k challenge to increase awareness.
- [2016-11-18] The main site will be inside PingPong and we will open the site there in January 2017.
- [2016-11-18] The site for 2016/2017 is up but under constructions. Last year's homepage is found here.
Examiner: Associate Professor Magnus Almgren, phone: 031-772 1702, email: magnus.almgren
The Computer Security course gives a broad overiew of the security
area. The approach is largely technical, but the course will also
address the important societal implications of security (or rather lack
of security). Roughly, security deals with how to protect your system
against intentional intrusions and attacks. The purpose of intrusions
can be made to change or delete resourses (data, programs, hardware,
etc), to get unauthorized access to confidential information or
unauthorized use of the system's services. The course covers threats
and vulnerabilities as well as rules, methods and mechanisms for
protection. During a few lectures, a holistic security approach is
taken and organizational, business-related, social, human, legal and
ethical aspects are treated.
The Computer security course is the first within our Security specialization.
Recommended text book (e-book at Chalmers library)
Stallings & Brown: Computer Security,
Pearson, second edition
The course memo summarizes relevant information of the course. The latest version is always found in PingPong.
The reading instructions will be published in PingPong.
All information concerning the labs is found on the Lab page in PingPong.
The following course material is electronically available. Please note
that the lecture slides alone do not give a full coverage of the course
All lectures are given in HA4 Monday, Thursday and some Fridays. As per the course memo, we
will only have Friday lectures for the first couple of weeks.
The lectures and other material will be uploaded to PingPong.
Lectures and slides
- Lecture 1: Introduction, Threats, Vulnerabilities, Protection
(Mon 2017-01-16, 13-15)
Course Introduction, Lab Intro, Vulnerabilities, threats, and protection mechanisms.
See also "Extra reading" = ER1 below.
- Lecture 2: (1) UNIX Security, (2) Passwords, (3) Authentication, Authorization and Access Control, (4) Mobile Malware
(Thu 2017-01-19, 10-12)
- Lecture 3: (cont'ed) (1) UNIX Security, (2) Passwords, (3) Authentication, Authorization and Access Control, (4) Mobile Malware
(Fri 2016-01-20, 15-17)
- Lecture X: Please refer to schedule in TimeEdit and PingPong for further lectures
- Lecture 1: Here is a description of an attack and the resulting problems for a
private individual. Note the difference in assumptions between Amazon
and Apple regarding the privacy of the numbers of the credit card.
Examination dates 2016/2017 (preliminary)
Sat 2017-03-18 0830 (am), Wed 2017-06-07 0830 (am), Wed 2017-08-23 1400 (pm)
2015-04-18, 2015-03-21, 2014-03-15, 2014-01-18,
2013-08-28, 2013-03-12, 2013-01-17, 2012-08-29, 2012-03-08 + program for q5 2011-08-17, 2011-01-11, 2010-10-19, 2010-08-18, 2010-01-12, 2009-10-20
The following question from the exams above is no longer applicable:
2009-10-20 - 8c
URL for this page: http://www.cse.chalmers.se/edu/course/EDA263/index.html
Latest change 2016-11-18 by Magnus Almgren