List of Papers for DAT300 (still under construction for 2016)
The schedule of the presentations can be found on a separate page (updated 150508). If you want to edit the document to book a timeslot, you should use the link sent in the google group for the course.
For both presentations and project report, please take a careful look at the lectures/instructions at the technical writing course:
slide creation guide.
The evaluation form can be downloaded from here (pdf | doc)
Introductory Nature (for background study, accompanying intro lecture; not for chosing for presentation and discussion)
- U.S. Dept. of energy; The Smart Grid: An Introduction
- Katz, R.H., D.E. Culler, S. Sanders, S. Alspaugh, Y. Chen, S. Dawson-Haggerty, P. Dutta, et al. "An Information-centric Energy Infrastructure: The Berkeley View." ; Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems 1, no. 1 (2011): 7-22.
- Chapter 9: Data Communications, Cybersecurity, and Information Privacy; MIT report on future electricity systems
- Appendix B MIT report: Electric Power System Basics
- Chapter 5: The Impact of Distributed Generation and Electric Vehicles, MIT report on future of electricity grid
Adaptiveness and information needed for it
- Kyriakides, Elias, and Marios Polycarpou. "Short term electric load forecasting: A tutorial." Trends in Neural Computation. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2007. 391-418. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-540-36122-0_16?LI=true#page-1
- Paparoditis, Efstathios, and Theofanis Sapatinas. "Short-term load forecasting: the similar shape functional time-series predictor." IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 28.4 (2013): 3818-3825. http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.2617
- Fernández, Iván, Cruz E. Borges, and Yoseba K. Penya. "Efficient building load forecasting." Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation (ETFA), 2011 IEEE 16th Conference on. IEEE, 2011. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.301.8069&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Alizadeh, Mahnoosh, Anna Scaglione, and Robert J. Thomas. "From packet to power switching: Digital direct load scheduling." IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 30.6 (2012): 1027-1036. http://arxiv.org/pdf/1202.3192.pdf
- Wu, Di, Dionysios C. Aliprantis, and Lei Ying. "Load scheduling and dispatch for aggregators of plug-in electric vehicles." IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 3.1 (2012): 368-376.
- Barker, S., A. Mishra, D. Irwin, P. Shenoy, and J. Albrecht. "SmartCap: Flattening Peak Electricity Demand in Smart Homes." In 2012 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom), 67 -75, 2012. doi:10.1109/PerCom.2012.6199851.
- Georgiadis, Giorgos and Marina Papatriantafilou. "A Greedy Algorithm for the Unforecasted Energy Dispatch Problem with Storage in Smart Grids." Chalmers University of Technology, 2012.
- Johnson, Matthew P., Amotz Bar-Noy, Ou Liu, and Yi Feng. Energy Peak Shaving with Local Storage. Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems 1, no. 3 (September 2011): 177-188.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.suscom.2011.05.001
- Humeau, Samuel, Tri Kurniawan Wijaya, Matteo Vasirani, and Karl Aberer. "Electricity load forecasting for residential customers: Exploiting aggregation and correlation between households." In Sustainable Internet and ICT for Sustainability (SustainIT), 2013, pp. 1-6. IEEE, 2013.
- Wijaya, Tri Kurniawan, Kate Larson, and Karl Aberer. "Matching demand with supply in the smart grid using agent-based multiunit auction." InCommunication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS), 2013 Fifth International Conference on, pp. 1-6. IEEE, 2013.
Data-stream processing and information extraction from data-streams
- Simmhan, Yogesh, Baohua Cao, Michail Giakkoupis, and Viktor K. Prasanna. "Adaptive rate stream processing for smart grid applications on clouds." In Proceedings of the 2nd international workshop on Scientific cloud computing, pp. 33-38. ACM, 2011. DOI= http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1996109.1996116
- Gulisano, V., Nikolakopoulos, Y., Cederman, D., Papatriantafilou, M. and Tsigas, P., 2016. Efficient data streaming multiway aggregation through concurrent algorithmic designs and new abstract data types. arXiv preprint arXiv:1606.04746. http://arxiv.org/abs/1606.04746
- Tiziano De Matteis and Gabriele Mencagli. 2016. Keep calm and react with foresight: strategies for low-latency and energy-efficient elastic data stream processing. In Proceedings of the 21st ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming (PPoPP '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, , Article 13 , 12 pages. DOI= http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2851141.2851148
- Graham Cormode. 2013. The continuous distributed monitoring model. SIGMOD Rec. 42, 1 (May 2013), 5-14. DOI= http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2481528.2481530 Note: this is a survey paper, presenting a set of 4 methods/models; for each of them to be understood and presented to some depth, study of cited papers will be needed and each of the models can be one unit of presentation in the course
- Joseph M. Hellerstein et al.; Beyond Average: Toward Sophisticated Sensing with Queries
- Nath et al. - Synopsis Diffusion for Robust Aggregation in Sensor Networks
- Tang, Lu-An, et al. "Multidimensional analysis of atypical events in cyber-physical data." Data Engineering (ICDE), 2012 IEEE 28th International Conference on. IEEE, 2012.
- Subramaniam, Sharmila, Themis Palpanas, Dimitris Papadopoulos, Vana Kalogeraki, and Dimitrios Gunopulos. "Online outlier detection in sensor data using non-parametric models." In Proceedings of the 32nd international conference on Very large data bases, pp. 187-198. VLDB Endowment, 2006.
- M. A. Faisal, Z. Aung, J. R. Williams, and A. Sanchez. Securing advanced metering infrastructure using intrusion detection system with data stream mining. In Intelligence and Security Informatics. Springer, 2012. DOI= http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-30428-6_8
- Gulisano, Vincenzo, Magnus Almgren, and Marina Papatriantafilou. "METIS: a two-tier intrusion detection system for advanced metering infrastructures." In International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Systems, pp. 51-68. Springer International Publishing, 2014. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.678.5496&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Look at the special track at ACSAC 2014
- CPS: Through the Eye of the PLC: Semantic Security Monitoring for Industrial Processes
Dina Hadziosmanovic, Delft University of Technology; Robin Sommer, International Computer Science Institute; Emmanuele Zambon, University of Twente; Pieter Hartel, University of Twente
- CPS: Market Analysis of Attacks Against Demand Response in the Smart Grid
Carlos Barreto, University of Texas at Dallas; Alvaro Cardenas, University of Texas at Dallas; Nicanor Quijano, Universidad de los Andes; Eduardo Mojica-Nava, Universidad Nacional
- CPS: Flying blind - Challenges and Uncertainties for Timing Attacks on Process Control Systems
Marina Krotofil, Hamburg University of Technology; Alvaro Cardenas, University of Texas at Dallas; Bradley Manning, Hamburg University of Technology; Jason Larsen, IOActive, Inc.
- Look at the conference CPSS (currently two years) and papers therein (but it is important to speak to us about the choice)
- A clustering-based approach to detect cyber attacks in process control systems, I. Kiss, B. Genge and P. Haller, 2015 IEEE 13th International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN), Cambridge, 2015, pp. 142-148.
- Resilience of Process Control Systems to Cyber-Physical Attacks, Marina Krotofil, Alvaro A. Cárdenas, Secure IT Systems
Volume 8208 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science pp 166-182
- Rocking the pocket book: Hacking chemical plants for competition and extortion, Marina Krotofil, BlackHat 2015
- Marina Krotofil, Jason Larsen, and Dieter Gollmann. 2015. The Process Matters: Ensuring Data Veracity in Cyber-Physical Systems. In Proceedings of the 10th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIA CCS '15). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 133-144. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2714576.2714599
- Dieter Gollmann, Pavel Gurikov, Alexander Isakov, Marina Krotofil, Jason Larsen, and Alexander Winnicki. 2015. Cyber-Physical Systems Security: Experimental Analysis of a Vinyl Acetate Monomer Plant. In Proceedings of the 1st ACM Workshop on Cyber-Physical System Security (CPSS '15). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1-12. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2732198.2732208
- Adapting Bro into SCADA: Building a Specification-based Intrusion Detection System for the DNP3 Protocol 10.1145/2459976.2459982
- Matthew Carpenter and Travis Goodspeed; Advanced Metering Infrastructure Attack Methodology
- Y. Liu and P. Ning; False data injection attacks against state estimation in electric power grids
- Cleveland et al.; Cyber security issues for Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
- Stephen McLaughlin et al.; Energy Theft in the Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Stephen McLaughlin et al.; Multi-vendor Penetration Testing in the Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Grochocki et al.; AMI Threats, Intrusion Detection Requirements and Deployment Recommendations
- Jens Zerbst et al.; Vattenfall AB; Zone Principles as Cyber Security Architecture Element for Smart Grids
- R. Berthier et al.; Intrusion Detection for Advanced Metering Infrastructures: Requirements and Architectural Directions
- Henrik Christiansson, Eric Luiijf; Creating a European SCADA Security Testbed
- Rafael Ramos Regis Barbosa and Aiko Pras; Intrusion Detection in SCADA Networks
- Molina et al.; Private memoirs of a smart meter
- RPL: The IP routing protocol designed for low power and lossy networksDouglas S. J. De Couto, Daniel Aguayo, John Bicket, and Robert Morris. 2003.
- A high-throughput path metric for multi-hop wireless routing. In Proceedings of the 9th annual international conference on Mobile computing and networking (MobiCom '03). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 134-146. DOI=10.1145/938985.939000 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/938985.939000
- Baronti, Paolo, Prashant Pillai, Vince W. C. Chook, Stefano Chessa, Alberto Gotta, and Y. Fun Hu. Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey on the State of the Art and the 802.15.4 and ZigBee Standards.Computer Communications 30, no. 7 (May 26, 2007): 1655-1695. doi:10.1016/j.comcom.2006.12.020.
- Gill K, ShuangHua Yang, Fang Yao, Xin Lu A zigbeebased home automation system Consumer Electronics, IEEE Transactions on (Volume:55, Issue: 2)(May 2009):422430