Contact: villars@ mpi - inf. mpg . de.
Office: Rännvägen 6B, room 6455.
Short Bio: I got my Ph.D. from Dartmouth College in the summer of 2008. I worked as a post-doc at Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik and at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin in Deutschland for about 4 years and a half. I came here in March of 2013.
I am proud to have Peter Winkler as my Doktorvater.
I am teaching advanced algorithms in 2015 LP2 period.
I organized a one-day workshop dedicated to Kurt Mehlhorn on October 23, 2014.
Below are some courses that I have taught in the past.
- Algorithms, Chalmers, Computer Science Department, 2013, 2014.
- Graph Algorithms, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Computer Science Department, 2012 Summer
- Selected Topics in Efficient Algorithms, co-taught with Susanne Albers, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Computer Science Department, 2011 Winter
- Approximation and Online Algorithms, co-taught with Rob van Stee, University of Saarland, Computer Science Department, 2010 Winter
- Modern Topics in Algorithms:Game Theory, co-taught with Kurt Mehlhorn, University of Saarland, Computer Science Department, 2009 Winter
- Computational Discrete Mathematics, co-taught with Ariel Levavi, University of Saarland, Computer Science Department, 2009 Summer
I work in the areas of algorithms and game theory.
Below are my research papers.
My Research Collaborators
- Exact and Approximation Algorithms for Weighted Matroid Intersection (with Naonori Kakimura and Naoyuki Kamiyama) SODA 2016
- A Tight Approximation Bound for the Stable Marriage Problem with Restricted Ties (with Kazuo Iwama, Shuichi Miyazaki, and Hiroki Yanagisawa) APPROX 2015
- Coordinating Oligopolistic Players in Unrelated Machine Scheduling (with Fidaa Abed) Theoretical Computer Science
- Popular Matchings with One-sided Ties (with Ágnes Cseh and Kavitha Telikepalli) ICALP 2015
- Maintaining Near-Popular Matchings (with Sayan Bhattacharya, Martin Hoefer, Lisa Wagner, and Kavitha Telikepalli) ICALP 2015
- A Fully Polynomial-Time Approximation Scheme for Speed Scaling with Sleep State (with Antonios Antoniadis and Sebastian Ott) SODA 2015
- Optimal Coordination Mechanisms for Multi-Job Scheduling Games (with Fidaa Abed and José Correa) ESA 2014
- New Results for Non-Preemptive Speed Scaling (with Sebastian Ott) MFCS 2014
- An Improved Approximation Algorithm for the Stable Marriage Problem with One-sided Ties (with Kavitha Telikepalli) IPCO 2014
- How to Pack Your Items When You Have to Buy Your Knapsack (with Antonios Antoniadis, Sebastian Ott, and José Verschae) MFCS 2013
- Preemptive Coordination Mechanisms for Unrelated Machines (with Fidaa Abed) ESA 2012
- Non-preemptive Speed Scaling (with Antonios Antoniadis) SWAT 2012
- Efficient Algorithms for Maximum Weight Matchings in General Graphs with Small Edge Weights (with Kavitha Telikepalli) SODA 2012
- Near-popular matchings in the Roommates problem (with Kavitha Telikepalli) ESA 2011
- Collusion in Atomic Splittable Routing Games ICALP 2011
- Popular Matchings in the Stable Marriage Problem (with Kavitha Telikepalli) ICALP 2011
- On Expressing Value Externalities in Position Auctions (with Florin Constantin, Malvika Rao, and David Parkes) AAAI 2011
- Parameterized Two-Player Nash Equilibrium (with Danny Hermelin, Stefan Kratsch, and Magnus Wahlström) WG 2011
- Group Mutual Exclusion in O(log n) RMR (with Vibhor Bhatt) PODC 2010
- The Price of Collusion in Series-Parallel Networks (with Umang Bhaskar and Lisa Fleischer) IPCO 2010
- Circular Stable Matching and 3-way Kidney Transplant Algorithmica
- Classified Stable Matching SODA 2010(arXiv)
- Donation Center Location Problem (with Zoya Svitkina) FSTTCS 2009
- Equilibria of Atomic Flow Games are not Unique (with Umang Bhaskar, Lisa Fleischer, and Darrell Hoy) SODA 2009
- Bounded Unpopularity Matchings (with Kavitha Telikepalli, Dimitris Michail, and Meghana Nasre) SWAT 2008
- Two's Company, Three's a Crowd: Stable Family and Threesome Roommates Problems ESA 2007
- Cheating to Get Better Roommates in a Random Stable Matching STACS 2007
- Cheating by Men in the Gale-Shapley Stable Matching Algorithm ESA 2006
Below are the researchers I have collaborated with in the past. Thanks for the many things they have taught me and the many merry hours we spent together:
Fidaa Abed, Antonios Antoniadis, Chrisil Arackaparambil, Umang Bhaskar, Sayan Bhattacharya, Vibhor Bhatt, Amit Chakrabarti, Florin Constantin, José Correa, Ágnes Cseh, Lisa Fleischer, Danny Hermelin, Martin Hoefer, Darrell Hoy, Kazuo Iwama, Naonori Kakimura, Naoyuki Kamiyama, Ming-Yang Kao, Telikepalli Kavitha, Stephan Kratsch, Xiang-Yang Li, Kurt Mehlhorn, Shuichi Miyazaki, Meghana Nasre, Dimitris Michail, Sebastian Ott, David Parkes, Malvika Rao, Zoya Svitkina, Yih-Kuen Tsay, José Verschae, Lisa Wagner, Magnus Wahlström, Weizhao Wang, Hiroki Yanagisawa.